The frosts have arrived, so I picked at least a dozen eggplant yesterday and went surfing for recipes. The following I found on Jamie Oliver's site and will make a nice side serve for lunch with visitors on Sunday. At least it will use up two aubergine.
- 2 nice firm aubergines, the round purple Italian ones if possible, sliced lengthways 3mm/about 1/8th inch thick
- extra virgin olive oil
- white wine or herb vinegar
- 2 sprigs of fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves finely sliced
- a small handful of fresh mint leaves finely sliced
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled and very finely sliced
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
While the aubergines are grilling, put 8 tablespoons of olive oil and 3 tablespoons of vinegar, with the parsley, mint and garlic, into another bowl and season with salt and pepper.
When the aubergines are all done, add them to the dressing and mix around, then check the seasoning again and divide on to the bruschette. Press the topping into the toast so all the lovely flavour gets sucked in!