statcounter

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Mayday


Just a bit of trivia.  I really enjoyed reading about Calamity Jane; had no idea what she was all about, so that was my lesson for the day!

Born on this day:
  • 1852 - Calamity Jane, American Wild West legend (d.1903)
  • 1907 - Kate Smith, American singer (d.1986)
  • 1916 -  Glenn Ford, Canadian actor (d.2006)
  • 1945 - Rita Coolidge, American singer
Events:
  • 1759 - Josiah Wedgwood founds the Wedgwood pottery company in Great Britain
  • 1786 - Opening night of the opera The Marriage of Figaro by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart in Vienna, Austria
  • 1834 - The British colonies abolish slavery
  • 1869 - The Folies Bergère opens in Paris
  • 1931 -  The Empire State Building is dedicated in New York City
  • 1956 - The polio vaccine developed by Jonas Salk is made available to the public
  • 2003 - In what becomes known as the "Mission Accomplished" speech, on board the USS Abraham Lincoln (off the coast of California), U.S. President George W. Bush declares that "major combat operations in Iraq have ended".
Source: Wikipedia

10 comments:

Teri said...

Alaine--Great info. I will have to check some of them out later on today. I love that comment at the end about "major combat operations in Iraq have ended". What a liar he was! I feel so sorry for all the soldiers that have to be there fighting...for what? Oil? Scoop it out of the ocean off the southern coast of US!

vicki archer said...

Happy May Day.....Have a great weekend, xv.

karen said...

This was fun...I like trivia. The last one for 2003 made me laugh my *** off! I don't care much for Bush. Happy May Day Alaine!

alaine@éclectique said...

Teri...I know; I, too, thought that was ludicrous.

alaine@éclectique said...

Vicki...Happy May Day to you too. I see that you have a lot of work ahead of you now that Spring has arrived in France. Thanks for dropping in... xa

alaine@éclectique said...

Karen (MG)....thank you. I like reading what happened 'on this day' way back; most interesting. Yes, I had to include that last one; what a joke!

alaine@éclectique said...

Teri...I've just seen the news tonight; now I know what you meant about the oil! What a terrible disaster!

steven said...

alaine - of course may day arrives sooner for you! happy may day. dance around a flagpole or something. steven

Unknown said...

Hi Alaine,

Thanks for keeping us up-to-date. You'll be relieved to know you can safely return to Melrose Musings with nary a poem in sight - for a few days at least!

alaine@éclectique said...

Derrick...thanks for visiting and letting me know that all is forgiven for being so blunt! :)