I could taste every ingredient. The recipe is for four people but, you guessed it, it only went as far as two!
An extra side of Risoni, drizzled with olive oil, a teaspoon of Garam Masala and salt and pepper to taste, was a good companion and would help it to go further if you have unexpected visitors.
It would also be nice served with a side of cool, crisp lettuce and tomato; that is if you're going to include the chillies. I didn't have chillies so chopped up about three slices of Jalapeño and the steam was coming out of my ears! Suited hubby's palate, though!
- 500g chicken pieces, skin removed - I used thighs
- The marinade:
- 2 inch piece ginger, peeled and finely grated - I used 2 heaped tsp minced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, peeled and grated - OR 2 heaped tsp minced
- ½ tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- The vegetable mix:
- 2 med onions, peeled and thickly sliced or chopped
- 150g or 2 green peppers, de-seeded and sliced or cubed
- 1-2 green chillies, chopped (optional)
- 2 large tomatoes (250g) cut into wedges
- 2 tbsp oil or ghee
- Salt to taste
- The curry gravy:
- 2 tbsp ghee or oil
- ½ tsp chilli powder, adjust to taste
- 2 tbsp tomato pureé
- You can add a couple of tablespoons of thick, natural yoghurt or double cream at step 10, to make the dish creamy.
- Salt to taste
- Mix ginger, garlic, turmeric, garam masala and salt together.
- Coat chicken with this mix and allow to marinate for 2-3 hours.
- Heat oil or ghee in a large frying pan, wok or kadhai.
- Add sliced onions, green chillies, green peppers and salt, fry for 10 minutes.
- Add tomato wedges, stir fry until onions become translucent and green peppers and tomatoes are half cooked, approximately 10 minutes.
- Lift out with a slotted spoon and keep aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil or ghee in pan, add marinated chicken and stir-fry for 5 minutes on high.
- Add chilli powder and tomato puree and simmer on low heat, until chicken is cooked. Stir-fry until excess gravy is evaporated and chicken looks well fried.
- Add fried vegetables, prepared earlier and stir-fry for a few minutes, until heated through.
- Stir in Yoghurt/cream here, if used - I used thick, Greek yoghurt.
- Adjust seasoning, turn heat off, sprinkle with coriander leaves.