These are even tastier the next day, cold.
Preparation time: 80 mins
- 3 large eggplant (aubergine)
- olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 red chilli, finely diced (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 1tsp dried oregano or thyme
- 1 free range egg or 1/2 tbs plain flour
- 1/4 cup grated fresh parmesan cheese (optional)
Dice eggplant into 1/2 inch cubes and place on oven tray, sprinkle with a little salt and lightly drizzle with olive oil. Bake in a moderate oven for 20mins until golden and soft; remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.
In a large bowl mix the finely diced onion, garlic, chilli, 1 cup of the breadcrumbs, oregano or thyme, combine well. Add the whisked egg, parmesan cheese and eggplant, season with salt and pepper.
Mix thoroughly (easier with your hands); check consistency and add more breadcrumbs if the mixture is not coming together easily.
Form mixture into small balls, place on non-stick oven tray and bake in a moderate oven for 30 minutes, until golden.
Alternatively they can be deep fried for added crunch.
Serve as a side or appetizer with bread and dips.