statcounter

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

LETTER WRITING


Just a quick note today, as DMJ is nudging me to work on the website.

I've had a penfriend for about fourteen years now. She lives on the other side of the State, we've never met but write to each other two or three times a year. She has a computer but will not hook up to the internet as she thinks it's the work of the devil. The lady I walk with thinks it's evil too. Another friend of many years, a couple of years older than me, doesn't own a computer and is not the slightest bit interested in getting one.

A friend in Tasmania said that all she gets from her sister in Victoria is jokey emails, never a letter! So I wrote her a lengthy email the other day and she was thrilled. I should have printed it out, or written it long hand and posted it.

I've kept up the letter writing as I love receiving the reply. I must admit, though, that I've been typing them lately, in a nice font, Flair Roman, but I must get back to long hand and the fountain pen.

I used to wonder why anyone would want a web log, for all the world to see but, now that I'm blogging, I'm meeting so many clever, wonderful people from all over the world - my penpals, really.

Well, I'd better go and do the morning dishes, the washing, the vaccing, the dusting and then, maybe there'll be a little time left for the website before I prepare dinner!

5 comments:

Tess Kincaid said...

I had an old friend from out of state ring me up the other day. She also proceeded to tell me the evils of the internet. I think it's because she doesn't own a computer. I can't imagine going back to living without one. I would miss my peeps too much!

alaine@éclectique said...

Yep, DMJ and I love our computers! The fact is, we just love being creative! And I love to see what others are doing. The internet is certainly an education. Love your banner, it's amazing.

blackbird said...

People fear what they don't know or understand- that certainly isn't new.

I've always wanted to keep a diary and to organize my photos and now with my blog- I am pushed to do both. I love it. And I enjoy how big the world has become for me with links to everywhere (almost) in the world.

I was especially happy when I learned that 'blog' came from web log. It all made sense and I've always found 'blog' to be an unattractive word.

One of the best things about computers is that there is so much to learn. It can be frustrating of course but it all carries such possibilities. And it's always good to be pushed to learn just past your comfort level.

Susan said...

I can't remember the last time I received a handwritten letter, or wrote one for that matter. That makes me sad. Our children and grandchildren won't be finding any bundles of ribbon-tied letters when we're gone. That makes me very sad. :(

alaine@éclectique said...

I don't like that word 'blog' either, ghastly. Diary and Journal are nicer. Blogspot is even worse; sounds like a bird dropping!