statcounter

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

THAT DAY

I stand by the river where both of us stood,
And there is but one shadow to darken the flood:
And the path leading to it, where both used to pass,
Has the step but of one, to take dew from the grass, -
One forlorn since that day.

The flowers of the margin are many to see,
For none stoops at my bidding to pluck them for me;
The bird in the alder sings loudly and long,
For my low sound of weeping disturbs not his song,
As thy vow did that day!

I stand by the river - I think of the vow -
Oh, calm as the place is, vow-breaker, be thou!
I leave the flower growing - the bird, unreproved, -
Would I trouble thee rather than them, my beloved,
And my loving that day?

Go! be sure of my love - by that treason forgiven, -
Of my prayers - by the blessings they win thee from Heaven, -
Of my grief (guess the length of the sword by the sheath's) -
By the silence of life, more pathetic that death's, -
Go, - be clear of that day!

Elizabeth Barrett Browning 1806 - 1861

I love sad poetry and sad, soulful music; it's just the essence of my being, who I am; another 'Romantic'. This was taken from my copy of Lady Geraldine's Courtship and Other Poems, published by Ward, Lock & Bowden Ltd, London, New York, Melbourne and Sydney and the handwritten note reads, To my friend with much love from Maggie, January 6th 1894.

No comments: