statcounter

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Breaking Bread...



A quote from John Stewart Collis's 'The Worm Forgives the Plough' (1973) - his observations and ruminations on agriculture after working on the land in England's South during World War  2:

When I got home I heard John Barbirolli conducting Beethoven's 'Seventh Symphony' over the air.  What was agriculture for, it seemed to me, except that such a thing as that symphony and the playing of it should be made possible?  To make bread so that it shall be possible for mankind to have more than bread and hear the scripture of the kings; to listen to a Beethoven, a Sibelius, a Tchaikovsky, uttering some far message to paradox and joy.


This book came recommended; it has had many reprints and the review on the link above is glowing.  Have you read it?  I think I'd enjoy it.

Pic: Arthur Rackham

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Alaine,

I haven't read the book but the quotation is an unusual and uplifting way to look at life! My Barbirolli clip is also of him in his conductor's role, with the Halle.

Betsy Brock said...

I'll go check out the link...thank you! That is a beautiful piece of art, too...the flowers in the center are just the finishing touch!

Sam Liu said...

Ahh...what a quote. The sort that stirs the soul, awakens something deep and profound within us all. Thank for sharing this wonderful excerpt, I shall definitely try and get my hands on a copy of "The Worm Forgives the Plough" (I love the title too) :)

alaine@éclectique said...

Derrick...I loved the quote for that reason!

alaine@éclectique said...

Betsy...you're so kind; perhaps the flowers...the saving grace!

alaine@éclectique said...

Sam...the sentiment is wonderful, the paradox - the unholy war going on in Europe and Collis arriving home from the farm in England to freshly baked bread and the radio exuding beautiful classical music!

karen said...

I haven't read this one...but loved the artwork paired. I think it's the colors in this piece that attract me. You'll have to let us know what you think of this book when read.
Hope your weekend was marvelous. xa

alaine@éclectique said...

MG..Karen, I haven't got it yet; I'll try to get it through my library. Weekend pretty ordinary, full of aches and pains. I should try meditating...:)

steven said...

alaine - i've heard of this book and not come across it - not even a word until i read this quote which is really insightful isn't it. music is a window into a place beyond this world. i believe hat it carries the capacity to change tis world and so yes, whatever is necessary to cause it to emerge is worthy! cool. steven

alaine@éclectique said...

Steven...I'd feel a little guilty listening and knowing what was going on over the water but I suppose it all helped to take their minds off it for a short while.